Before you go checklist
- Read the travel advice on Smartraveller, subscribe for updates and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check your passport is valid for 6 months from when you plan your trip to end.
- Get the right visa for the countries you’re visiting or transiting through.
- Get comprehensive travel insurance to cover you and your gear.
- Have a health check-up and get vaccinated - 8 weeks before you go.
- Check if your medication is legal in the places you’re going.
- Tell your bank you’re travelling and check your cards will work overseas.
- Check if you'll need an International Driving Permit.
- Research the local laws of the countries you plan to visit. If you are a dual national, check if this will have any implications for your trip.
- Share your itinerary and contact details with friends or family. Stay in touch.
- Know what to do if there's a crisis when you are overseas.
Explore this page to learn about resources we offer industry, media, education and the community.
The better prepared you are, the safer and more enjoyable your travel will be.