Before you go checklist
- Read the travel advice on Smartraveller, subscribe for updates and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check your passport is valid for 6 months from when you plan your trip to end.
- Get the right visa for the countries you’re visiting or transiting through.
- Get comprehensive travel insurance to cover you and your gear.
- Have a health check-up and get vaccinated - 8 weeks before you go.
- Check if your medication is legal in the places you’re going.
- Tell your bank you’re travelling and check your cards will work overseas.
- Check if you'll need an International Driving Permit.
- Research the local laws of the countries you plan to visit. If you are a dual national, check if this will have any implications for your trip.
- Share your itinerary and contact details with friends or family. Stay in touch.
- Know what to do if there's a crisis when you are overseas.
Handy checklist to tell you what you need to do before you head off on your trip.
This publication provides advice on how to avoid becoming a victim of sexual assault, and advice to victims of sexual assault if it happens while overseas.