Who you are matters. In many countries age, gender and sexual preferences can pose challenges. It can also impact your personal safety.
Some people in other countries may have different values to you. They may not share the average Australian's support for equality and diversity. Many countries have laws that encourage discrimination.
Understanding the culture and laws in your destination will help things go smoothly for you. Know how it can impact your experience. Explore our advice for:
- Dual nationals
- Colour, race, ethnicity or religion
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and intersex (LGBTI) travellers
- Mature and senior travellers
- People travelling with children
- School leavers (schoolies)
- Women travellers
These general advice pages are for Australians preparing to travel overseas. If you're already overseas and need help, see while you're away.