The Consular State of Play is a snapshot of the consular assistance and crisis support the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) provided to Australians overseas during the previous financial year.
The Consular State of Play breaks down facts and figures about
- where Australians are travelling
- the number and type of consular cases
- crises and crisis support
- other support, such as passports and notarial services.
It also has travel tips and case studies to help Australians stay safe while travelling.
Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) reports
Each year, ICA and DFAT co-produce a survey about Australian travellers and travel insurance. We include the key insights gained from the survey in the Consular State of Play. You can also find the full reports below.
- Travel insurance and Smartraveller Survey 2022 [1.3MB]
- Impact of COVID-19 Travel Ban Report 2020 [PDF 1.45MB]
- Smartraveller Advisory Awareness Report 2019 [PDF 2.38MB]
- Traveller behaviour in South-East Asia Report 2018 [PDF 4.28MB]
- Over 65s Travel Insurance Behaviour Report 2017 [PDF 723.61KB]
- Survey of Australian's Travel Insurance Behaviour 2017 [PDF 854.7KB]