Have you ever wondered what the top reasons are for Australians running into trouble overseas? Or the destinations where our consular officers are the busiest?
The Consular State of Play 2021-22 is a snapshot of consular services and crisis support provided to Australians, permanent residents, visa holders and their families overseas during the past financial year.
Often, some basic research and preparation are enough to have a trouble-free holiday. For example, visiting the Smartraveller website and subscribing to the destinations you'll visit, taking out travel insurance and keeping friends and family at home aware of your travel movements.
So, to help you prepare for your next trip, we're sharing with you the latest statistics and case studies of our recently launched publication, the Consular State of Play 2021-22, and some tips to stay safe.
Who were the top travellers of 2021-22?
- 2.37 million Australian departures
- Top age group was the 35-44-years-olds (340,000)
- Visiting friends and relatives was the top reason for travel (766,000)
- 51% of our population now own a passport
- Nearly 1.5 million passports issued (up by 147% from 2020-21)
How many cases of Australians, permanent residents, visa holders and their families did we support?
- A total of 34,710 cases of consular and crisis support
- 66,638 phone calls taken from DFAT's Consular Emergency Centre
Where did the consular cases happen?
Why did Australians seek support and advice in 2021-22?
- Welfare (down by 47% from 2020-21)
- Death (up by 14% from 2020-21)
- Illness/hospitalisation (up by 14% from 2020-21)
- Arrest (down 4% from 2020-21)
- Imprisonment (down 5% from 2020-21)
You can take a look at the full publication online.
Finally, our top tips, from consular officials around the world, to help you stay safe overseas. Enjoy your trip!
- If you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel
- Look after your passport!
- If you wouldn't do it in Australia, don't do it overseas
- Look after your mental health, be mindful of your medical condition and act accordingly.
- Ensure your family are aware of your whereabouts and keep in regular contact with them.
Enjoy your trip,
The Smartraveller team