Read this information in العربية.
A Traveller Emergency Loan (TEL) may be available to help you
- secure tickets on a commercial flight to depart Lebanon
- bring forward the date of a booking you already hold.
The Australian Embassy in Abu Dhabi will manage your commercial flight bookings if your application is approved. You will not receive any cash funds directly.
- What is a TEL?
- Can I apply for a loan?
- Who will the loan cover?
- How do I apply for a loan?
- What happens if the loan is approved?
What is a TEL
A TEL is an interest-free loan. It's normally due to be repaid within six months of the date of travel.
Can I apply for a loan?
To apply for a TEL, you must be:
- an Australian citizen with a current Australian passport
- over the age of 18
- agree to sign a legal deed constituting an agreement to repay the debt (if the loan is approved)
Who will the loan cover?
The loan will cover a commercial flight for you (Australian citizen) and your immediate family members. Family members must have current entry rights into Australia. Flights will be one-way only to Australia.
Who is an 'immediate family member' of an Australian citizen?
'Immediate family member' includes an Australian citizen's:
- child (under 18)
- parents of Australian children (under18).
How do I apply for a loan?
You must provide:
- details of each family member seeking to leave Lebanon on a commercial flight
- a scanned copy or photo of the passport bio page for each person on the list
- the person or people who will be signing for the loan (Australian citizens over 18)
- the date you left Australia
- details of any medical issues for you and the family members travelling with you
- efforts you have made to try and get money to purchase flights on your own, including people you have contacted in Australia
- any other issues that may be relevant to your current situation.
What happens if the loan is approved?
We will contact you by email with advice on the next steps.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade will work with you to arrange your loan repayment. If you cannot repay your loan by the due date, we have flexible repayment options, including payment by instalment.