American Samoa

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade does not issue travel advice for American Samoa at this time.

American Samoa is an unincorporated territory of the United States of America.

Australians are advised to read and subscribe to the General advice to Australian travellers which provides general information about safety and security, local laws and customs, entry and exit requirements, health issues, travel and health insurance, consular assistance and registration.

From 12 January 2009, all Australians passport-holders eligible to travel to the United States under the Visitor Waiver Program are required to follow new border entry procedures. For further information, please see our travel advice for the United States.

It is important to consider your physical and mental health before travelling overseas. We encourage you to consider having vaccinations before you travel. At least eight weeks before you depart, make an appointment with your doctor or travel clinic for a basic health check-up, and to discuss your travel plans and any implications for your health, particularly if you have an existing medical condition. The World Health Organization (WHO) provides information for travellers and our health page also provides useful information for travellers on staying healthy.

Outbreaks of the mosquito-borne illness dengue fever occur in American Samoa and it is strongly recommended you take precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes, including using insect repellent. For further information on dengue fever see the World Health Organization's factsheet.

Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in American Samoa. Australians may obtain consular assistance from the nearest High Commission which is in Apia, Samoa. Contact details are:

Australian High Commission
Beach Road
Apia, Samoa
Telephone: (685) 23 411
Facsimile: (685) 23 159

All Australians travelling to American Samoa, whether for tourism or business or for short or long stays, are encouraged to register with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Australians can register in person at any Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate or online. The registration information provided by you will help us to find you in an emergency - whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or a family emergency.

If the situation changes and a travel advice for American Samoa is issued, travellers can be automatically notified by subscribing to our email subscription service.

Foreign Affairs Canada and the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office also issue travel advice for their citizens.

While every care has been taken in preparing this information, neither the Australian Government nor its agents or employees, including any member of Australia's diplomatic and consular staff abroad, can accept liability for any injury, loss or damage arising in respect of any statement contained herein.