Toggle Menu SearchSearch

Registration help

​Why should I register my trip?

The information you provide can help the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade to contact you or your family in the event of an emergency.

Will I receive updates to the travel advice?

Registering your trip does not necessarily mean you'll receive notifications if the travel advice for your destination changes while you are overseas. You should subscribe to the travel advice updates through your Smartraveller account for each country you are visiting.

Does registering mean that the Australian Government will provide me with consular assistance?

Registration does not automatically guarantee you consular assistance. The level of assistance provided in an emergency is outlined in the Consular services charter. You should take personal responsibility for your travel choices, safety, finances and behaviour overseas. This includes buying travel insurance and obeying the laws of the country you are visiting. We also encourage you to share your contact details, travel itinerary and copies of key travel documents with friends or family.

What information do I need to complete a registration?

You will need passport details for all travellers, information about who we can contact in an emergency, and details of your destinations.

I am travelling with a tour group. Do I still need to register?

Tour companies are not obliged to share your personal details or itinerary with us. We encourage you to register yourself for each of the places you are visiting, including city details.

How do I know that my registration has been successful?

After submitting your registration a reference number will be displayed. A confirmation email will also be sent to the main contact if an email address was supplied.

My plans have changed. Can I edit my trip?

You can edit travellers, contact details, emergency contacts and destinations through your Smartraveller account.

Can I register over the phone or email you my itinerary?

We cannot accept registrations over the telephone or via email. If you have difficulty using the internet, family or friends can register your travel on your behalf. Most local libraries have an internet-connected computer for public use.

What will you do with my information?

Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement.

I have a question that is not answered here. Can I talk to someone?

Please email